Webinar based Winning KPIs workshops – five session timetable for [your company]
Attendees after this workshop will be able to:
- Explain the difference between the four types of performance measures and why most measures are not KPIs they are result indicators
- Identify measures that are KPIs by using David Parmenter’s seven characteristics of a winning KPI
- Apply David Parmenter’s methods to word your organisation’s success factors and desired external outcome statements
- Understand how to complete the CSF and KPI workshop exercises
- Use techniques to develop meaningful measures
- Ascertain some KPIs that will help transform [your company]
- Understand the amount of commitment required to complete the CSF /KPI project
- CEO (at least for the first and last webinar)
- Selection of senior management (all webinars)
- Experienced staff from different business units around the organization (the oracles)
- All performance management / Balanced scorecard staff / KPI project team
- Local consultant who knows the business if they may be used on the project
Recommended pre work:
Attendees are to read Chapters 1 & 7 from D Parmenter’s KPI book 4th edition.
|Lead by||Minimum elapsed time|
|Session 1: The new thinking on Key Performance Indicators & Revisiting your organisation’s success factors (SFs) and outcomes.||David Parmenter||Day 1|
|Session 2: Mapping the success factors to find the critical ones. How it works.||David Parmenter||Day +3|
|Session 3: Designing measures from success factors & Reporting measures using the rules from Stephen Few .||David Parmenter||Day +5|
|Session 4: CEO gives feedback on the proposed CSFs. Reworking CSFs, delete duplicated and inferior measures & the three-stage CSF & KPI process.||KPI team||Day +10|
|Session 5: The myths of performance measurement & workgroup present their way forward.||KPI team||Day +12|
Pre-activity to session 1: Background work to ascertain current success factor wording that is used in [your company]and use the success factor list provided by David Parmenter from his book.
Session 1: Led by David Parmenter
|8.00||Opening Remarks by _____________
Setting the context of the workshop
|8.10||Presentation #1: The new thinking on Key Performance Indicators by David Parmenter
· KPI stories
· The difference between the four types of performance measures
· The characteristics of a winning KPI
· The 10,80,10 rule for performance measures
· Why finding measures need more rigour
· The need for past, current and future measures
· Importance of knowing your organisation’s critical success factors
· Wording success factors by avoiding empty words
|9.00||Commence workshop #1 Revisiting [your company]’s success factors (SFs) and outcomes. All work that has been already done in wording success factors will be tabled.|
|9.50||Groups give their feedback on the SFs and outcomes.|
|10.00||Recommence workshop #1|
|10.30||End of session (KPI team set up the success factors onto an A3 schedule for session #2)
Exercise: Review a list of twenty measures used by ________ and classify them.
Pre-activity to session 2: Rewording from workshop is collated and another tidying up of wording to avoid outcomes statements and weasel words. Input success factors into an A3 diagram and the Excel spreadsheet provided by David Parmenter from his book.
Session 2: Led by David Parmenter
|8 am||Question & Answer session|
|8.10||Presentation #2: Mapping the success factors to find the critical ones. How it works
· How critical success factors differ from outcomes
· The end goal for the CSFs
· How to perform sphere of influence mapping by using the airline example
· The end result of the CFS – a poster on workplace walls
|8.30||Commence workshop #2: Sphere of influence mapping using an airline’s success factors (using the A3 prepared schedule)|
|8.40||Commence workshop #3: Sphere of influence mapping of [your company]’s success factors (using the work from workshop #1) (using the A3 prepared schedule and the Sphere of influence spreadsheet)|
|9.35||Feedback from workgroups on one part of their mapping|
|10.00||Recommence workshop #3|
|10.30||End of session|
Pre-activity to session 3: Collating all the high scoring success factors and getting a list of up to 10-14 success factors. A team of three people are selected to re-score reducing to up to eight CSFs.
A table prepared of CSF, higher scoring success factors, and lower scoring success factor. Prepare the CSFs PowerPoint presentation. Discuss with attendees before session.
Session 3: Led by David Parmenter
|8.00||KPI team present their work on the draft CSFs|
|8.20||Presentation #3: Designing measures from success factors
· How to design measures (worked example)
· Common problems with measures
· Ascertaining measures from one of the success factors
|8.50||Commence workshop #4: Design performance measures for the critical success factors that have been identified. One CSF is allocated to each workgroup.|
|9.20||Workgroups give their feedback on their mapping|
|9.45||Recommence workshop #4|
|10.10||Presentation #4: Reporting measures and the rules from Stephen Few|
|10.30||End of session
Exercise: Each team is given a report to redesign, based on these guideline.
Pre-activity to session 4: Collating all measures into a database and beginning to remove duplications, standardise common measures, and remove meaningless measures. KPI team discusses measures with attendees before the session.
Session 4: Led by the KPI team
|8.00||Workgroups give their feedback on their resigned reports.|
|8.15||CEO gives feedback on the proposed CSFs|
|8.45||Commence workshop #5: Rework CSF wording based on SLT feedback. Each group of two is given 2 to 3 CSFs to rework if necessary|
|9.15||Feedback from workgroups|
|9.30||Commence workshop #6: Teams are allocated one CSF and associated measures and they delete duplicated and inferior measures
Using laptops, the teams edit their assigned CSF
|10.00||Presentation #5: on the three-stage CSF & KPI process
· The seven foundation stones
· The three stages
· Selling & leading change
· What teams need to do to finalise measures
· The performance measurement gallery: how it works and what we want you to do.
· Schedule for team workshops.
|10.30||End of session|
Pre-activity to session 5:
Groups prepare a small PowerPoint presentation (3 to 4 slides covering new measures, measures that are to be discarded, their next steps and implementation timeline).
Session 5: Led by the KPI Team
|8 am||Question & Answer session|
|8.20||Presentation #6: The myths of performance measurement|
|9.00||Groups give their feedback on the measures|
|9.35||Groups give their feedback via a small PowerPoint presentation (2 or 3 slides). All senior management who are not present join the session.|
|10.00||Closing remarks by CEO|